CHOICE OF PLAYS
The student may choose any non-musical play from the list announced by the State Boardof Directors in the September issue of the Florida State Thespian web page.
- The student director may select any scene from the list of plays designated by the State Board of Directors EXCEPT the musical theatre selections.
- The submitted prompt book must include, but is not limited to
- Thematic statement of the play
- Character summary: include relationships with each other
and their surroundings, using the characters in the required scene
- Plot summary of the play
- Floorplan for the scene: provide a complete groundplan to a scale as you would stage it in full performance for that scene in the act that it occurs as it would be presented in the final production
- Copy of the designated scene with blocking notes and technical cues on the copy
- Only (1) one student may be the director. NO COLLABORATION.
- Student directors MUST choose performers who are participating in one other event at the district level. The student director may NOT be one of the performers in the scene.
- The Student director may use 2-16 performers for the presentation of their event.
- Be prepared to answer the following conceptual questions, for example: The playwright’s choice of title, tempo for this scene, use of line, shape, texture, color, and/or music to reflect mood and style.
- Time limit: five (5) minutes for the required uninterrupted performance. The remainder of the time is designated for justification and questions. The event shall not exceed ten(10) minutes.
- A bibliography is required documenting all resources used.
- One (1) chair per character in the designated scene provided.
- One sturdy table provided.
- Prop(s) may be brought at the student director’s discretion if it is an integral part of the scene.